Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The fort is underway!

It has been a while since I've posted on this, but I have been taking pictures so that I can keep track. So I'll make this a catch-up post and try to be more regular about it from now on.

A brief history... We have been talking about building a play/tree house for/with our boys for about 6 years and never had the rescources or time to do it. Well, DH heard that a house was being torn down and he obtained permission to salvage what building materials he could from it. So we got enough used lumber to start The Fort (so named because the boys are a little too old for a 'playhouse' now :) It will be built on skids so we can move it if we ever move, and it will have an upstairs for the big kids with a first floor for littles. Since DH is in construction, he is using this oppertunity to teach the boys how to build a building, and, of course, everything is being done 'to code'. That means 2x6s for the first floor walls and everything! My more 'akward' boys are actually getting the hang of using a hammer, and Daniel and Peter are just loving 'shop class'! Well, when I get all of the pics downloaded, I will give a play-by-play of the project. I have already posted the preperation of the construction zone by removing the pecan stump with Amber overseeing the whole operation ;)
Our goal is to finish it by summer.
Till next time~Gloria

No comments: